25 March, 2009

Unresolved?

I've been walking around the past few days mulling over in my head a major idea that we talked about in class. The idea that Lahiri's short story was unresolved. Although I feel that everyone's arguments as to why Lahiri's story was unresolved were valid, I never felt that way until I went into class. I thought the ending was nearly perfect and that there was an amazing resolution at the end. I felt like the whole story was an observation of Sanjeev's feelings for Twinkle. He was trying to sort out why exactly he married her and in the end he realized that although she did so many things that irritated him he loved her for them.

"It was the same pang he used to feel before they were married, when he would hang up the phone after one of their conversations, or when he would drive back from the airport, wondering which ascending plane in the sky was hers"

I loved the story to say the least. It might be my romantization of love and marriage, but I think that Sanjeev and Twinkle's relationship is perfect. Although they often got on eachothers nerves, at the end of the day they realized that there was nobody else better for them.

0 comments:

Post a Comment