21 March, 2009

Behind the Veil

I attended a lecture at the Student Diversity Leadership Conference this past week. Professor Qazi introduced to the group very interesting points about the stereotypes that the West and Western culture have put on women of the Middle East. In the West it has seemed that the idea of the veil and head covering has become synonymous with the words of oppression and lack of woman's rights. Instead Qazi showed that for many women the veil shows their religious devotion and is in no way a political way of oppression. One of the most interesting things that she showed was a series of pictures in which we had to guess what the people were doing. In this picture she cropped it so that just the heads were showing. Not one person would have guessed that it was a group of women in a soccer league playing. She also explained that many muslim countries are far ahead in women's rights in that they have already had a woman head political leader. Qazi's lecture was very informative and broke many social stereotypes that I had formed in my head about the muslim culture and women oppression. As she talked I was also reminded of a book that I read last semester by Shirin Ebadi called Iran Awakening.

3 comments:

LWA said...

On the topic of women, soccer, and the Muslim world, check out the film Offside about a group of female soccer fans in Iran who aren't allowed in the stadium.

Lauren F said...

This is so interesting. In religion class we had talked about the head coverings, so I knew they weren't forced to wear them just because of oppression. I also knew they wore them because of personal beliefs. I never knew however that they would play soccer completely covered. Even though I knew they did not have to wear the coverings, I guess in my mind I still picture them as not participating in activities such as soccer games, and I see them as just walking around covered.

Le said...

I know what you mean. When she first showed us the picture I thought that it was just a group of women walking down the street. Their heads were down and I thought that it was just a role that they were playing, as being submissive and stuff. Then when she showed the full picture I was shocked that they were playing soccer.

Post a Comment