20 April, 2009

The Eye of the Storm



I've been reading the novel Power by Linda Hogan. At first it was really slow moving but now I am hooked and can't stop reading. At one point in the novel Omishto, the protagonist, begins describing a storm. As I was reading it I immediately thought of when your parents get mad at you. I don't know why I thought of this, but I think it is because her relationship with her parents plays such a crucial role in the book. She frequently describes and defines herself through her relationship with her mom. One of the most moving quotes that I found was when Omishto described one of the main reasons why she liked Ama. It was when Ama said, "You're nothing like her [Omishto's mother] at all." Omishto then said that is was why she liked Ama. Omishto didn't want to be correlated to her mother or any of her family, for that matter.

But back to the eye of the storm. I think that due to Omishto's turbulent family lifestyle when she began describing the eye of the storm I immediatley thought of when parents get angry. Omishto described a storm to follow, afterwards I will show how it relates to a parents anger.

"That heavy moment of silence dark gray with weight. It is dead still as if I am in a clear eye of destruction, a calm heart dressed in a skin of fury, but it's not even the eye of the storm, it's the silence before it hits, the time it takes to infale, to gether itself. I have time, I hope, in this clear space, to make it back to Ama, as if she holds safety in her skin, as if the house will hold me safe even though it's dying and rotting away"

"heavy moment of silence dark gray with weight"= The time just after you break the news to your parents, "I just rear ended a car...it was my fault I was texting."

"dead still as if I am in a clear eye of destruction"= the look your parents give you when they hear this then the inital rash decision, "I am taking away your car for the rest of your life"

"a calm hear dressed in a skin of fury...not even the eye of the storm"= because they have just heard this information they become silent after their initial response. they then begin rethinking things, consequences, punishments, what is appropriate and what is not.

"I hope...the house will hold me safe even though it's dying and rotting away"= Our last ditch attempt to get us out of trouble a quick "But I was texting you to tell you I was on my way home" the guilt, 'it-was-your-fault-so-you-have-to-take-some-of-the-blame' reverse psychology that never works on parents.

**Situation purely hypothetical and in no way meant to be real-life, non-fiction

3 comments:

kejtwin said...

I thought what you did with this passage was very interesting... nothing like i would have thought but i can definitely see the connection.

Jessie said...

hahaha...I LOVED it...you analyzed that passage really well!!! :)

j

Kerry said...

great analysis and i love how you related it to something most of us have experienced (though maybe not this exact hypothetical situation)

Post a Comment