06 February, 2009

Am I really okay?


I just watched Girl Interrupted last night. I had previously read the book so I knew the basics for the movie but I was still shocked as to what happened in the movie. Towards the end of the movie I was reminded of a movie that I watched in my AP Psych class last year called The Snake Pit. In this movie the protagonist, Virginia, is put into a psych ward much like Susanna was in Girl Interrupted. The scene that reminded me the most of Snake Pit was when Susanna had to go in front of the board and petition her case to leave. In Snake Pit Virginia has recovered but in the board interview her anxiety is revealed and causes the board to think that she is still not completely recovered. This is a lot like Girl Interrupted in which Susanna goes to her board meeting and the board began to question what her plans were for after she left the hospital. During this exchange I feel that the director did a good job of showing the anxiety that Susanna must have felt in the constant questioning of the who, what, where, and why.

0 comments:

Post a Comment